Sunday 11 October 2009

The weekend

Well, after several JD’s on Thursday it soon became clear why the Chinese was the most popular choice for the Thursday night pose – it’s closest of the three options to the pub! Well, that was easier to solve than the riddle of the Sphinx!

Anyway, Friday was a stupidly busy day work-wise. Call me old fashioned but by 3pm I expect to be winding down and getting into weekend mode, not typing with such a speed that steam is coming off my keyboard. So, when a last minute dinner invitation arrived into my inbox at about 4.30pm, I jumped at the chance as going home and cooking was the last thing I really wanted to do.

So I spent the evening at a lovely traditional place ran by the Italian mother and father I never had. Mama’s menu and decor have never changed in the seven years since I’ve lived here – and neither have her prices – and every meal somehow ends up seeing too much food being eaten, and too much red wine and black Sambuca’s being drunk!!! I think the glasses they use must be bottomless...........

Mushroom Popeye (mushrooms stuffed with spinach and baked in garlic butter) for starter and a portion of freshly-made cannelloni together cost less than a £10 – I’m telling you, the place is a total hidden gem. Even their steaks cost less than a tenner and you don’t need a magnifying glass to find them either. Mama’s has been running for almost 30 years now and its customers are all regulars who are made to feel part of the family. They even do a set meal (three courses, coffee and a bottle of wine for two for £38!!!!) but the prices are so cheap, going a la carte doesn’t usually end up costing too much more.

Anyway........ let’s just say Saturday morning’s Body Pump class was a major struggle. I’m sure it was red wine and not sweat oozing out of my pores!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment